I'm BACK after almost a full year growing!!

I have this little sister called Luna. She is small and very funny. My sister Luna is 11 months old and she has been walking for a month already! I think she’s gonna be some sort of super athlete, and even knows how to jump. We play this game and I chase her down the corridor. I tell her QUE TE PILLO, QUE TE PILLO and she gets so excited that runs all the way down to our parents’ room producing these little sounds. Before, we used to play with her walker but for a while now she doesn’t need it to storm up and down the house. Luna has the most incredible poise and balance and she actually never falls, just trips over things. The scariest is when she steps on something that slides, like an ice skate, so her legs slide out and the next thing you know she’s done a spilt and boom, her butt slams down on the floor. She cries a bit, but more because of the fright that the pain. Then she just gets right back up and continues on her mission... whatever it is! She loves kisses and she says MUUAAA before she puts her lips down all over the house. She even kisses the floor! She kisses me a lot, and our parents, but she also kisses each and every one of my toys and her toys, the sink, the carrots she eats, her high chair....the list goes on and on. Luna likes me a lot because I make her laugh. Sometimes I want to scare her and scream to her face, but she laughs anyway. These days she is missing me a lot in the morning since I go to school everyday. She comes to say goodbye all the way to the lift. I wish she could come with me in the taxi with Mrs NIP who comes to pick us up everyday, but she is really too small, despite all her talents. Mrs NIP gave me another fishy lantern today. It’s yellow and very beautiful.I am going to give it to Luna since I have another one that is bigger. I actually went to the lantern shop with my class last Thursday. They showed us how to make traditional lanterns and then we all bought one. I wanted to buy an airplane one but Li Laoshi said that was not traditional enough. On Wednesday, we are celebrating the Mid Autumn Festival at the beach and we will get to light up our lanterns, see the moon rise and have a picnic. Luna is also coming, most of my classmates and my friend Matteo who also goes to my school. Last Friday, we celebrated the Festival at my building and I got to play a lot with Hinako. She is 5 years old and is my neighbor, but she also studies at HKA. She’s Japanese and very energetic. She likes playing with the boys and fights with light sticks. Hopefully I’ll see her on Wednesday. Yesterday, I got to go to Middle Island and I saw my old friends Thilo and Aidan. Thilo has a new sister called Lili. She is even smaller than Luna and sleeps all the time. We sang Happy Birthday to mamá and I helped her blow out the candles. It was her birthday on Monday and this was her third cake! She loves cakes, she can make them very well, but her specialty is to eat them! Everybody was very impressed with the cake my Mom baked for my birthday! Now we are talking...a pirate ship. It was delicious too made with chocolate and some gooey glue on top made with chestnuts. If you have the time, you can read more about the Mid Autumn Festival from the info below. My teachers told me a lot about and you can learn something too reading the following: The Mid Autumn Festival   The Mid Autumn Festival is considered by the Chinese as the second most important festival after the Lunar New Year or Spring Festival.  It falls on the fifteenth day of the eighth lunar month when the moon should be in its full glory, round and bright. In Ancient China, it was a night to “admire” the full moon, for the traditional Chinese believed that the perfectly round shape of the moon signified peace and prosperity, wholeness and togetherness.  This year, in accordance with the lunar calendar, Hong Kong will be celebrating the Mid Autumn Festival on the night of September 22nd, and the day after the Mid Autumn Festival is a public holiday. Traditionally, it was an occasion for families to get together for a reunion dinner, to relax and celebrate after the busy and tiring harvest season. An opportunity to feast on the fruits,vegetables and grains of their labour, to indulge in moon cakes (a seasonal treat), and to enjoy the full, bright moon. Children were taught to make or were given lanterns to play with under the moon and told the old Mid Autumn legends, like the famous one of Chang E and Hou Yi or how moon cakes were used as a means in Ancient China to convey secret messages. It is still the practice today for families to try to gather from near or far to have a family reunion dinner during this holiday. It is also a tradition to gather at places that offer good vantages of the bright moon such as mountain tops or on beaches, to view and play under the bright moonlight. Children are allowed to stay up later to watch the full moon rise and play with their lanterns under the moonlight. In Hong Kong, areas like The Peak and public beaches will often be filled with festive crowds of people. You would also be able to find lanterns on display and all lit up at night during this festival period in areas like Victoria Park, or other public parks. If you go to Tai Hang (in Causeway Bay area/near Victoria Park), you might be able to catch the“Fire Dragon” as it winds its way through a few streets in that area. The “FireDragon” is a local practice dating back to when Tai Hang was a fishing village. Apparently one year leading up to the Mid Autumn Festival, the village suffered typhoon and plague, and the villagers’ livestock were eaten by a python which some of the villagers said was the Son of the Dragon King. A soothsayer advised the villagers to stage a fire dance during the Mid Autumn Festival Days. The villagers also made a large straw dragon, lit up incense sticks and used these to set the straw dragon aflame. Their luck then changed for the better, and this practice was "born"!    

Comments

Popular Posts